Friday, May 30, 2008

First Blog - What's in a name?

Wecome to my first blog entry. I've been a avid reader of blogs, discussion forums and chat groups for a number of years, but have never gotten around to starting my own - until now.

You might be wondering about the name of my blog -- Amhras Scuaine. I happen to be of Irish/Gaelic descent, and thought it would be interesting to come up with an Irish/Gaelic term that fits what my blog will be about and who I view myself as. I am not a Gaelic scholar, so I don't know for certain that this is the correct terminology or phrasing, but from what I've researched, the term roughly translates as "stream of doubt" or "stream of skepticism".

Now, you may wonder what "stream of doubt" means. I intend it to have many, from the reflection of a blog (stream of consciousness) to the skepticism of unbelief (doubting thoughts) , even to the love of nature and the world (streams, rivers and such). Yes, I intend to cover a bunch of topics, themes and ideas as I write - from science, personal interactions, news of the day, creationism, evolution, family, etc.

Anyway, keep reading -- I'll be posting new entries somewhat frequently (hopefully).

Thanks,

Amhras

No comments: