Monday, June 9, 2008

Price of gasoline -- the Wrath of God?

Well, over the last week, the price of oil has soared to unprecedented heights -- nearly $140 per barrel. Not surprisingly, the price of a gallon of gas has also risen, with the national average now over $4.00 for the first time ever. I've been thinking about the reasons for the current surge in prices, and I've come up with two possiblities:

1) the price is based on speculation, market forces and the dynamics of global political forces, as well as some random fluctuations that result from such a complex interaction of supply and demand forces.

2) God wants high gas prices

Obviously, many economists, statisticians, politicians and scientists are confident that the first option is correct, and that while there is some random fluctuations, it is overall a mostly rational process that drives the price. But what about option #2?

Well, there are a lot of reasons I could give for this, but the most obvious is that "acts of God" are starting to happen over the last few years that are impacting the price -- floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, wars, even lightning strikes. Just last week, over 2,500,000 gallons of unleaded gasoline burned up because God didn't want you to have cheap gas.

I think it's clear -- God is a current-technology hating environmentalist who wants to get rid of our dependence on fossil fuels switch us over to wind and solar power.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha love it :D

OH! and I found that Carlin video I was telling you about:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PpA47o8E46U

Love you dad!

Anonymous said...

Great Strawman, Chucky!

Looks like sparring with you would be a lot of fun. As a member of the Goldstein Squad, dedicated Overland Park anti atheists, I have rumbled with one of the great atheists leaders...IGGY!

Lately, however, he has devolved in wanting to lecture on cryonics (after life for atheisist!) and collecting donations for his billboard, (atheist passing the plate, so to speak.)

Plus, he does not have blog like you do, since the Heartland Humanists blog...which he inhabited...was shut down.

(Probably because the atheists there who tried to spar with us couldn't take it.)

Carry on, sport!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I am Bertam Cabot.

They all know me. Call any time.

Chuck Lunney said...

Bertam,

Thanks for your comments -- my first non-familial responses to my blog!

As far as "strawmen" go, please explain why satire and irony aren't legitimate means of commentary?

I know of Iggy (never met him), and I think he can be an obnoxious blowhard and an overbearing SOB sometimes. I don't know who/what the "Goldstein Squad" is, nor do I care.

Iggy is no more a "leader" than any loudmouth in a group is. He certainly doesn't speak for me.

Do you read the KC Star? Perhaps you've read my columns in the FaithWalk section? If not, they're archived here in my blog. I'm a much more realistic, tolerant and openminded person than some atheists -- but I don't put up with idiocy, willful ignorance and false bravado.

I'm not really into "sparring" with anyone. But if you wish to have a rational, reasonable, intellectual discussion, I'm more than willing to accomodate.

Oh, and calling me "sport" isn't a good way to get on my positive side.