Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The stronger the denial, the further the fall?

Well, it's happened again.  Another anti-gay preacher has "come out of the closet".  And this time, it's not just a local celebrant, but one of the higher up muckety-mucks, a full blown bishop (pun intended).

Yet, and this is what surprises me (not really), there are other Christians who are now denouncing him as not a "True Christian(tm)".  I wonder if they've ever heard of the logical fallacy called "No True Scotsman"? 

Peter LaBarbara of Americans for Truth About Homosexuality (AFTAH) said "This so-called 'Bishop' Swilley is a very confused man.  He thinks he's being honest about -- quote -- 'who he is,' but actually, he's compromising the Word of God and he's Christianizing sin, which is impossible."

I've got to wonder how long it will be before Mr. LaBarbara himself announces he has to be "who he is", too. 



I'm sorry, Mr. LaBarbera -- the last time I checked in the Bible, there wasn't a clause stating that sinners of any kind couldn't be Christian.  Maybe I'm reading a different Bible than you are?  Maybe AFTAH publishes it's own version, complete with graphic depictions of those heinous acts they condemn.  I'm sure Mr. LaBarbera stays up late at night studying it hard.

They let crooks, thieves, liars, bigots, cheats, philanderers, and adulterers stay in the pulpit.  Sometimes even after multiple offenses.  In fact, one of the defining positions of Christianity seems to be that everyone is a sinner, but that shouldn't disallow them from being Christian. But touch one member of the same sex, and you are no longer in the club.  Guess they should make a new "log cabin Christian" church?

2 comments:

Morrison said...

I have always seen this as something of a side issue, since as far as I know Jesus Christ never seemed to think it needed comment.

I think he would be more critical, on the other hand, of partners who cheated on each other.

Phelps and similar types seem to think the 13th Chapter of the Letter to the Corinthians does not apply to him.

Chuck Lunney said...

From what I've read in the Bible, I have to agree with you. Homosexuality would be far down on Jesus' list of problems that need to be dealt with in the here and now.

Just curious, why bring up Phelps and his nuttery? I didn't bring it up, and it's got little to do with what I wrote about.